Monday, November 22, 2010

Being welcomed into a new family that is as wacky and weird as my own hobbled together one is nice. The bf insisted I turn off my cell phone to lessen my tension about the stress-inducing calling and it's causing me some stress. The idea of turning off my phone has always seemed like paradise, until I actually go to do it, when I realize I'm too dependent on my phone. What if I miss hearing my godson is dead? etc.... But he's final about this: it's our vacation and he doesn't want or need that unnecessary stress, and is turning the tables on me by helping me over come my problem. The spiraling of what's passed is going to happen, and new beginnings are on the horizon.  :) I will let go.
In other respects, I cannot wait to be back in a kitchen of my own in which I can try out some new food ideas, some born in this house and are a blatant rip off, but I don't care. I have been feeling lackluster in my food ideas and my desire to create in the kitchen is back. Food ruts happen but I have found a way out of them! 
I'm spending Thanksgiving here and have been allowed to offer a dish, as I was raised to. I am doing a healthier version of Scottsdale Potatoes, not only for me, but for everyone coming to the table. I wish I could use a calculator to compare the healthified version to the original, but alas alack I will only have the year of healthy[ier] cooking to back me on it.  I will include a tentative recipe after my food and exercise log.
It also amused me to realize [1] I will be wearing the same thing this Thanksgiving as I have the past 2, [2] it's sad and ironic the only dish I know to bring to a Thanksgiving table is so fattening [3] I must've passed the best friend test because I'm to be a part of the Family photo this year. The last fact is a little strange because I'm used to being rejected or otherwise.  But ah see, a new time begins.


--------
Breakfast:
1/4 cup shredded wheat squares: 200 cal, 7g fiber, 7g Prot
8 oz 2% milk:  120 cal, 8g Prot 

Exercise: 
Home Elliptical 44 mins cals 200?
Free weights 11 mins  cals?


Lunch:
1 Sorrento Sticksters chedder: 100 cals
3 oz red grapes


Dinner:
Home-made Panini's:
2 slice italian 5 grain bread
spinach leaves
Chicken oz?
roasted bell peppers
black olives
red onions
swiss cheese
All grilled on George Foreman grill
---------
Recipe [original with notes]
1 (2-lb.) package frozen hash browns, thawed[2 lb fresh potatoes grated and squeezed]
2½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese [grated low-fat sharp cheddar cheese]
2 cups sour cream [low-fat/non-fat greek yogurt]
1 (10¾-oz.) can cream of chicken soup [98% fat-free and low sodium cream of chicken]
½ cup chopped onion
¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted [Low vegetable oil?]
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
[garlic powder to taste]
2 cups corn flakes cereal, crushed [panko bread crumbs or homemade sourdough croutons]
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted [less so olive oil or plain butter]



Preparation:

Preheat over to 350°. Lightly butter 7x10-inch ovenproof glass baking dish. Combine hash browns, cheese, sour cream, soup, onions, and ¼ cup butter in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Mix corn flakes and ½ cup butter and sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake until browned, about 45 minutes. Serve immediately.

Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Calories 457.3

 

Calories from Fat 304 66%


Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g

10%

Dietary Fiber 2.9 g

11%

Sugars 2.8 g

11%

Protein 10.9 g






No comments:

Post a Comment